Spring weather can be quite dangerous as it brings storms which may cause severe flooding and damage, especially in spring, when the soil is still frozen. Since the weather can be deadly in spring, it’s important to get ready for it ahead of time.
Before a Storm:
- Produce a disaster preparedness plan which contains an outside meeting place and escape routes from each room in the house. All family members must practice the program together.
- Create a house inventory that will help when filing an insurance claim. Important documents, personal numbers, and insurance policies have to be backed up and secured.
- Make sure the residence is in proper shape to defy powerful storms. Good things to do include tightening the roof shingles and repainting the basement, windows, and doorways.
- Prune the loose branches and remove the dead vegetation in the yard.
- Keep gutters and drains clean to ensure proper drainage. The gutters should also be tightly connected to the home to guard against powerful winds.
- Property owners should think about obtaining an Extended Water Coverage, as part of their home policy, to cover some kinds of sewer backups, which are one of the key causes of water damage during significant storms.
- If there are missing shingles on the roof, a trained contractor must be contacted to replace them.
During a Storm:
- When a storm is imminent, bring the valuables on the lawn indoors and move all vehicles and equipment to high earth.
- Don’t walk through moving water. Only a couple of centimeters of fast-moving water can sweep people off their feet.
- Do not drive through floodwater, not even in a huge van. Half a meter of transferring water is enough to take it away.
- Stay current on weather conditions and listen to local authorities for evacuation statements.
- Those that are inside ought to: securely shut the windows and doors; remain away from windows to prevent the risk of being struck by shattered glass and take shelter in the basement if the storm is intense.
- Individuals who are outside should get to high ground and prevent low-lying areas that are most likely to flooding.
- Portable radios should be utilized to stay informed.
After a Storm:
- Ensure everyone is OK and check for damage to the house while being aware of potential dangers.
- The plumbing inside and outside the property ought to be inspected. The water supply to the home has to be turned off in the main shutoff, if necessary. An expert should be hired if pipe damage is detected.
- Switch off additional utilities if they are damaged. Also, call local authorities and wait for their acceptance to flip them back on.
- Appliances that have been exposed to water have to be disconnected immediately. The most important power supply must be turned off. In case of damaged electrical wires, an electrician ought to be contacted.
- If there are missing shingles on the roof, a trained contractor must be reached. Property owners are advised not to fix the roof themselves they would risk injuries and possible additional damage to the roof.
- The broken windows of damaged cars that seem salvageable should be covered. It’s important to list all ruined valuables in the car and call the insurance agent.
- Large fallen trees must be removed by a specialist only.
- Work with reliable local contractors, as some companies try to take advantage of storms and natural disasters. A written contract detailing all the work to be achieved, as well as a breakdown of the price, should be obtained prior to any repairs.
- If the home was flooded:
- Prevent contact with floodwater, that is likely polluted.
- Make lists of the damaged or lost items and take photos.
- File the flood insurance claim.
- Hire an expert damage restoration company, for example, PuroClean to get the home back in order safely and efficiently.
- Water damage must be remediated properly and quickly. Otherwise, it will lead to mold contamination, which introduces another host of concerns and problems.
For flood damage cleanup, call the PuroClean certified restoration experts!
Spring flood disasters can strike at any particular time, therefore it is vital to follow these storm preparedness tips. The PuroClean team stands ready to give expert restoration services to any home affected by fire, water, or mold damage. Looking for coronavirus sanitation services Orillia? Check this out.